Friday, November 15, 2019

Sleeplessness


Sleeplessness
By Jeffrey Bowen  (November 2019)

I lie awake in darkness.
My mind discovers a life of its own.
Images roll in like waves,
And problems float to the surface
With help or hindrance
 From unpredictable characters.
Nothing is resolved, everything unraveling.

I remember my first night in this room,
Wrapped in a sleeping bag before we moved in.
The humming of the city still echoed,  
But out in the country
The silence was surround sound.
I could actually hear it.  
The dark was a disquieting cloak.  

Tonight a sweet tragic song from my teenage years  
Plays in my head like a scratched up 45.
I hear the words again and again
To a point where the record skips.
 I forget the lyric, but I know it rhymes.

As my night mind wanders,
I dream that I am never quite on time,
Never packed but urgently due somewhere.
I wander through familiar offices
But don’t really know where to go.
Often I meet the bastards who made life difficult.  

In the semi-dark I trace the shreds
Of cold snowlight peeping through the window corners.
The furnace comes to life.
The pipes creak as their water veins swell.  

The dog sighs and shifts positions.
 So do I.  
But there is little comfort as my shoulders
Complain to each other,
And my legs refuse to rest.

 A distant train gains volume
As it works it way from town to town
And then recedes as it always does on schedule.

I remember my preset.
imprinted long ago when I had to mind the weather.
Retirement never stops me from awakening
Precisely at 5 a.m.

But that is two hours away.
 So I lie in stillness half aware,
And I wait, then wait some more.  
The images, my urgent mission,
 My teenage angst, the furnace,  
And my strange dark life
Recycle as I shift and toss.

Then gradually, but without warning,
I disappear.
 Later I can never remember when.

No comments:

Post a Comment