Thursday, April 27, 2017

Regretful Rats?

There is a new study out purporting to show that rats do have regrets, and apparently they show it.  For the first time, supposedly, it has been proved that mammals other than humans experience emotions like regret.  The proof comes from food choices where rats were given a series of treats over an hour.  When they avoided making a tasty choice, only to find in the next round that the option was much less desirable, they hesitated and looked back at the previous option they had failed to take.   Also when they reached the end of the “next zone” after making a bad choice, they were willing to wait longer before making a choice at all, and when they did they rushed into it.  They scarfed it down—or is it up?

Does this prove rats have regretful behavior?  The scientists were careful not to call this disappointment, but they say yes to regrets.  Maybe they are right.  This does reflect my dinner time behavior from time to time.  I think back to last night’s good food, and stare woodenly at the less desirable option I am looking at...yes, maybe even regretfully.  Also I am willing to wait longer the next time for the good choice, even though cooking and preparing it may take longer.  And then, sometimes I do rush to eat it.

 Maybe it’s because I didn’t eat much of last night’s dinner, and I am getting really hungry.  Maybe I am just damned glad to have something better.  Regardless of choice, I should be happy that I didn’t have to prepare it because then it would have been essentially inedible.  In any event, my regrets are complicated by the redemption of dessert.  Do you suppose rats think in terms of redemption?

Perhaps there is a parallel here for humans regarding choice of mates, and the patterns of regretful behavior that follow untasteful divorce.  Wow, think about that!  

JMB

6/8/14

No comments:

Post a Comment